Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A tool I could use

I haven't had the need yet to rely on tricks and tools that are now freely and readily available online for a regular investor these days.

I use all the information I can from Yahoo! Finance, once a while I will use Morning Star's Instant Portfolio XRay and maybe sometimes ETF Connect's Fund Sorter. These seem to have done the job for the information I was looking for, though in no sense do I consider myself a "power user" for any of those.

However, very recently I have felt the need to have a tool that could give me a list of ETFs, from a list of stocks that I provide as input. What I want to do is to see, if say for example from a list of 10 companies I like, in a sector that I like (or need for a balanced portfolio), which ETF(s) do a maximum number of those stocks belong to.

Sounds simple enough, and I refuse to believe there isn't anything like this out there. Maybe I haven't been looking for it hard enough. Or maybe such information is not needed by the mere fact that following a balanced investing scheme using ETFs, you would never have the need for looking up that sort of information.

It would be at least a fun thing to play with...

No comments: