Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Microlending for mainstream - kiva.org


I had read about kiva.org from a financial blogger who I read fairly often. Yesterday while watching local PBS in HD (since it is either that or Discovery that seem to have the only decent quality HD programming) that I saw a good segment on kiva and spent some time today looking into it.

I guess enough has been said about the creativity of the idea and the ease and effectiveness of it on various blogging sites. The 100% repayment rate so far is certainly impressive and it seems to be getting more attention each day.

I am not a charitable person when it comes to donating money, but this appeals to even my charitable side. Of course micro-lending is not charity. However, I am looking at it as most people like me would do; Loan some amount that you are comfortable with, hope that it helps someone with the need to get setup or make a small business work. If that works, I suppose the feeling of having helped can only be good. When the repayment comes across, I am sure you are not going to need the money then, so see if you can help someone else. Call it pseudo-charity, but this is something I could see myself doing with the selfish reason of enjoying the feeling of having helped.

I like ideas like this that work.

No comments: