Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Whats the time?

I had a very interesting and amusing realization today. After a few months of not having that extra "cash" that I use for doing my investing, I finally have enough to make a decent purchase and take one more step towards that ideal-balanced portfolio .

Now, I have been keeping an eye out on a few ETFs that my portfolio could certainly use right now. I am way too lean on small cap (growth or value) and financials. That is true even for Energy, but that is a whole new topic. I have sort of convinced myself that the next purchase is going to be either a small cap or a financial ETF.

As I look at the market today, call me skeptical, but I don't feel too comfortable buying right now. It all comes back to basics of investing.
1. Don't try to time the market.
2. Dollar-Cost-Avg out everything you buy and everything you sell.

Well, I have never been able to get to #2 with my "taxed" investing portfolio. I leave that for the 401k (...also another topic of interesting discussion as to why most...well..if not most, at least most small investors I know never treat their 401k and their active-investing accounts/portfolios in the same way and with the same principles?). As for #1, I have every reason to believe Karma has something to do with it. Either that, or for some reason, the economics of the world somehow scheme together so that every time that I have my investing money ready, it is NEVER a good time.

So, for somebody like me, who has not yet figured out how to get $$-cost-avg to blend into my lifestyle (to be fair....I haven't heard it mentioned any time before, but THAT is a pretty hard thing to achieve), for now timing is pretty much everything. I am probably just going to wait for a short dip...hopefully which should happen sometime soon or else I am sure that money is magically going to disappear soon into the unrelenting appetite for my money that day-to-day living has!

On a positive not, I still need to verify this, but remember reading somewhere that Zecco pays decent (around 4%) interest for money that you transfer, but not invest into your account. I should probably do that transfer instead of writing this right now...........

No comments: